Life at Expedia Group Blog
Career Check-In with Sarah Sandiford
Come join us as we adventure around the Hotels.com global offices and meet our team to discover more about their day-to-day roles, exciting projects, great teams and, of course, their passion for travel.
Sarah Sandiford | Associate Social Community Manager | Hotels.com | London
- What area of Hotels.com do you work in?
I work in the global social media team, which sits within the brand org – my team neighbours are PR and Brand. In my day to day role, I manage our EMEA social channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. From creating content to partnering with influencers, my role is fast paced and very creative.
- What do you enjoy most about working at Hotels.com?
Ooh that’s tough to just pick one! My top three would be:
- The amazing teams I work with: my colleagues may be based all over the globe, but we are actually a tight knit bunch! From working on a big collaborative projects to motivating one another with ‘out there’ ideas and of course, we always make sure to catch up on the latest Peaky Blinders episode.
- Wealth of knowledge: Working in the fast moving world of social media, it’s constantly evolving. Since joining Hotels.com, I’ve learnt more about this industry in the last six months, than the last two years of my career.
- And being honest? The travel inspo! My destination bucket list has been ever growing since I joined.
- Tell us about a project you are most proud of and why?
As Social Media Manger of EMEA, I look after our global Instagram account. All the snaps we share on our grid are from our internal staff – that’s right, our amazing grid of travel inspo images are all shot by our employees around the world. We really do live to travel.
Showcasing their passion for the next adventure and uncovering hidden travel gems, being able to share that with our followers is incredible. Our finance team seem to live the best adventures and their photography is pretty impressive!
- Tell us about a manager who has supported your development? And how?
Since the get-go, my manager has given me the confidence to in putting ideas forward – however small, big or silly. It means that I’ve been able to crack on with projects and in my short time here, really carve out new strategies and campaigns. This also applies to senior management, I feel completely at ease asking for help or sharing feedback on certain projects.
- How do you balance work and life?
Knowing when to switch off. Social media is always ‘on’ and it’s hard to completely log off – but making time to unwind and disconnect is important. Spending time outdoors or getting lost in a good book on my commute are my social free moments. Well, I try.
- What is your most memorable travel experience?
Spending two weeks exploring Cuba. Understanding their way of life and soaking up the culture, to those incredible white sandy beaches where the coldest drink on tap is a Havana rum mojito. Bliss.